Whitmore Jones was founded in 1909 in Albert Road Southsea by Arthur Whitmore Jones.
Whitmore Jones thrived in Southsea, even through the First Great War 1914 – 1918 which Arthur served in. Arthur had three sons Clem, Alec & Edward who all became involved in the Family business. In 1928 Whitmore Jones expanded into Cosham, with a purpose built showrooms on the High Street. By this time Alec, the middle son had taken on responsibility for the Southsea shop, and Clem was to run the newly built flagship Cosham store.